Thursday, September 5, 2019

Keeper of the Lost Cities

My Star rating is going to be higher than my actual enjoyment of this book. Primarily because this is a middle grade book and geared for younger audiences.

I think what is enjoyable about the book for such readers will the interesting powers, the academy magic school setting and...the animals? (Also I dont know where to fit this in but I love the covers for all of these books)
I dont know I couldnt think of too many. They will probably like Sophie, I had problems with her and I will discuss below. I also like how it didnt stick to a formulaic trio or duo or anything like that. Different adults and students were always coming in and out and made the world feel more populated than books that make it seem like "these three people running through an empty world.

I think whats GOOD about the book is it sends some interesting and deep messages. It discusses human's lack of care for the earth(though its alittle annoying to be beat over the head with it and makes you feel like a crappy human). The importance of family, Sophie's struggle at losing a family, and the parents who struggle when having lost their child.

Furthermore, I think younger fans of Harry Potter will feel a connection to this book as well. It has a similar set up (actually really similar the more I think about it...) so it will feel familiar.

The negatives and why I didnt enjoy it (though as I said younger readers probably wont mind and I dont think it deserves a low star rating because its not in my age range.)
-Sophie's power struggle was pretty annoying. She was the unique chosen one with a ridiculous amount of being over powered. It gets irritating when so many conversations in the book are "Ive never seen that before, you're the only one that can do that" blah blah blah. I felt like they kind of balanced her out by not know alot about the world, being bad at "physical education" and alchemy. But its still heavily overshadowed by all the stuff she is NATURALLY good at. She didnt have to really struggle at all. They set up shes a good student, but didnt quite show it.
-Dax - He was incredibly annoying. Ive never seen such a jealous nuisance of a friend. I actually think this character does NOT pose a good representation to the younger audience. He doesn't face any repercussions for constantly calling out Fitz and his family, and (spoiler) the part where she tells him her family wont adopt her and he just cares that Fitz knew first and now hes gonna live with them. I just heavily sighed while reading and wished he'd go away. But no of course he has to end up in the climax getting kidnapped.
-The adoption drama. This also kind of annoyed me, I guess it makes sense that if you just see it from Sophies point of view she wouldn't understand how they are struggling. But shes just really bratty about it and she doesn't really apologize or understand why they chose to cancel it in the end.
First off, they weren't together that long or have too many interactions for me to feel the deep bond. Second, This little girl just kind of falls into their life, almost kills herself every day and doesnt understand why this family who already lost a child may not want to risk this. GRANTED, yes i think its really sweet the message of these people finding each other after loss but the way it was written was irritating.
And in the end its kind of just like, Parents crying and saying "YES WE WANT YOU YOU PERFECT CHILD WE LOVE YOU." And sophies like, yea ok! (Dax in the background cheering because shes not living with Fitz, which actually funny bc that makes it less awkward for Fitz and Sophie to start dating so HAHA Dax, hate him)
-Lastly the ending (obviously spoilers) Its kinda annoying to believe when she got kidnapped she didnt just Telekineticly kick their ***'s since you know..shes amazing. Even if shes drugged. Oh but of course she gets a whole NEW power because how could she not be even more special.

*SIGH* Thats most of my rant, again, its like a lower grade version of Harry Potter. Pretty cheesy, Sophies too special to not be annoying to read about. Dax can not show up for the sequel. There you go, theres my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment