Friday, September 20, 2019

The Return of the King | Review


"I'm glad you here with me. Here at the end of all things."
So here we come to the end, finally.
What I wanted to get out of this book was to expand my love on the movies and what knowledge of the lore I have gathered so far. Its sad that I didnt get the journey I was quite hoping for as the writing held it back so much. The Ending is the only part that gave me what i was hoping for, that extra look and depth into things that didnt make it into the film.

After getting toward the end, after The Ring is destroyed, my friend and I were overcome with this idea, and as I kept reading I wished for it more and more. That Idea that someone modernize and rewrite Lord of the Rings. When you combine my fervent watches of the films, my love of the lore and what Ive read with this book: the departing scenes really mean something. But if you just relied on the book I feel like the characters moments dont mean as much.
I feel like the book was too weighed down with over explanation of the area and where they were going instead of the people, their emotions, interactions and bonds.
I think the writing style is too aged for most to enjoy. Im sure no one will attempt this because too many would find it blasphemous, but I know there are writers out there that can rewrite this and make it digestible and not frustrating. Hopefully one day.

The ending of the book was so bitter/sweet. For the characters in the novel, and for myself as well. I feel like it was the strongest of the three books.












No comments:

Post a Comment