Monday, August 26, 2019

Shadows of Self | Review



We jump back into the familiar yet new world of Elendel. Where the first book took us on a new journey like Sherlock Holmes meets Magic, we now get a reminder about some of the more ancient and interesting parts of the Mistborn World.


The story took an interesting turn. I had originally assumed it would keep these more self contained stories that didn't breach anything too deeper. Instead you a Final Empire part 2 but SO much more interesting because you're combining everything you knew (or thought you knew) from the Era 1 plus Alloy of Law. Amazing cameos are abound! Lets get to some characters:

Steris is actually pretty great. Im so torn on who to root for. It seems socially and logically Steris and Wax should be together, but emotionally and going by chemistry, it should be Marasi and Wax.
Its actually a love triangle that makes sense! I never thought I would agree with one but since its not integral its kind of amazing.
The whole scene at ZoBells with Steris is really interesting and made me really like her.

Wayne, Wax, and Marasi continue to impress. They are honestly so great. This book actually elaborates more on them individually as well. The ending was perfectly crafted to give each of them something impactful and natural to their strengths.

Im not going to lie, I was kind of hoping for a bit more lite reading since finishing Mistborn Era 1 and in the middle of going through Stormlight Archives. But Sanderson always writes it so well I dont mind I went on this ride I wasnt expecting and enjoyed every moment.

The rest is some spoiler discussion/ review:

"Steel was his domain."

Wax was hit with ALOT in this book. Honestly I was shook about Lessie. The closer you get to the end you just start getting this dreadful feeling building up between who Bleeder really is and what Harmony has done.

They pose an interesting question. If Wax lived in the time of the Lord Ruler, would he be the one to capture and arrest Kelsier's Gang.

"He'd come here for a moment of solace, to think. Turned out, he didnt like where those thoughts were taking him."

Honestly the ending is just...wow, another God? A strange metal? Is Sazed/ Harmony that bad? I cant tell if the third book is going to continue on this trend of getting deeper and crazier or settle back down to end with Wax just taking on his Uncle.

Ill end this on a heartfelt note. The inclusion of MeLaan and Tensoon was amazing. MeLaan because I feel like she always should have done something more in Mistborn and Im glad she got the chance. TenSoon I always loved after Well of Ascension. And the following just made me tear up with the memory and Ill leave you with that:

"She was strong and vulnerable all at once: TenSoon whispered. "She was my last master, and my greatest. She had a way of pouring everything of herself into what she did. When she fought, she was the blade. When she loved, she was the kiss. In that regard, she was far more...human than any I have known."


No comments:

Post a Comment