Friday, August 9, 2019

The Way of Kings | Review

This book posed an interesting challenge. After getting off the high that was the Mistborn Trilogy I was intrigued by what Sandersons Fans deem his "best series".

I know not everyone agrees on this as we all have different opinions, and Im of that opinion. Though I very much liked the book I would say it didnt grasp as well as the Mistborn first book. I think the characters however were fantastic! The world was pretty overwhelming but it made it interesting for when you finished and you looked back and realized all the features of it you now understand.

I think my only complaint is I just wish it didnt take so long to get there. I feel like a lot of the middle of the book could have been shortened. Specifically Kaladins story. It probably made it seem longer because you get his flash backs too. Dont get me wrong, I very much liked Kaladin, I think his struggle was compelling, it just took too long to get to the end.

The ending, in typical Sanderson fashion, hit you with wave after wave of revelations. Part 5 was like being stuck in an undertow. Just when you think youre about to break the surface you get knocked back down again.

A further comparison to Sandersons work Ive made is that this book feels more like Hero of Ages than The Final Empire. Most of the book drags and is a bit slow, then slams all together at the end.

That's a pretty good overview of my opinion. The rest is just more details about characters and parts that happen in the book. So slight spoilers.

I think biggest moment in the book is at Dalonar's betrayal. I was practically yelling "GO GET THEM" I honestly thought they weren't gonna do it. I was already mentally notating how this would be my biggest disappointment. Thank you Sanderson for not wasting this beautifully built up moment!

Adolin is probably my favorite. Even though he doesnt get a lot of page time.

I kept waiting for him to betray his father, dishonor him, just be the opposite. It was so refreshing and nice to have this relationship, this strength of their bond and ideals. Bless Adolin.




No comments:

Post a Comment