Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Fascinators | Review

If you ever cast a spell alone in your room in the dark, wishing you were somewhere - or someone - else, this book is for you.
This little magical novel pulled at many of my emotions. I got angry, sad, empathetic, hopeful, happy. This novel centers on a little religious Georgia town who is barely accepting of magic, homosexuals less so.
We follow Sam and his magic club The Fascinators as they enter into their senior year and things dont go as smoothly as anyone would like.
The magic of the world isn't greatly described, (which as someone who has only read the first Raven Boys book feels similar.) It's more magical realism, its not explored and it's purpose isnt to create a fleshed out magic system. Personally this didnt bother me all that much, it was more a story about people and their lives than the magic of the world.

By the ratings so far, this book isn't being received relatively well. I'm leaning more toward the better than this worst. Especially after the major disappointment that was Infinity Son (another novel released this year that features a gay character in a modern fantasy like story) and my mixed impression of Bonds of Brass (a scifi novel featuring gay characters released this year) this was refreshingly better.

The one main negative I will point out is that I feel like this group of friends go through a little bit too much turmoil and we have not gotten enough time with them to care to weather the storm with them. I think all of their back ground and reasoning is realistic and reasonable, but since we dont fully understand their bond I was thinking most of the time for the main character to gtfo of there and forget his friends.

That being said I still really liked this book. It had a little whimsy and small scale events. Sam is our main character and boy does he have some self-esteem issues. I think the lives of these teens are pretty realistic. Even the best of friends are selfish, especially at their age. You want to be their for your friends, but you're at a time in your life where you need to start thinking of the future, where your bigger personal issues probably start becoming more apparent and catch up with you.
I think it's important to keep this in mind as you read this book and devote your time to The Fascinators.

I personally related very well to Sam. Who's lack of confidence led him to some dark paths and he often wondered what his friends were doing all the time, and how he felt left out. I dont think its good to ever take it personally at that age, but it's also not something you can ever help. I spent too many nights over analyzing text messages and wondering if people were hanging out without me, really for no good reason. Its not practical to think that people always have you on their mind (nor should they) but just because you arent doesnt mean they dont like you or enjoy your company.

I think you'll spend alot of time flipping between who you're more upset with between the friends but in the end may not be 100% happy with the results. Though I like that not everything has to end happily ever after, some things I wish were tied up better especially since its a stand alone. I think this surprised me the most, I kept thinking I should check if it would have sequels and I wish i did so I could curb my expectations. I could see myself wanting more of this and now Im left feeling a little disappointed and unsatisfied.

Two side notes.
Denver is so cute, "Can I please wait with you too." Aw!

Also at one point they reference the book I'll Give you the Sun, which is actually one of my all time favorite books with LGBT representation!

No comments:

Post a Comment