Saturday, May 30, 2020

Crazy Rich Asians | Review

Let China sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world.

Once I got past the initial amount of overwhelming family names, characters, and perspectives I quite enjoyed this. I applaud the author for roping in all of these characters and really going deep with some of these perspectives. I have to further applaud him for writing over a 500 page book that has far too many descriptions of...everything, and not making frustrating me. Granted based on the title, the point is to show the wealth, and it sure was shown.

I don't have really any complaints. I originally watched the movie and it actually made me want to read the book. I think I actually still prefer the movie because it turns some characters into more likable creations. But some of the characters in this book were SO damn unlikable! You have to applaud Rachel for how she handles most of the situations. 
I think the worst character is Nicks mother. I hated her so much, I feel like the movie took her character in a better route and I like the finale there rather than this book. Because honestly, the most Eleanor thought was how Rachel was a gold digger and kept wearing brand dresses. But Im sure if Rachel came in dressed...less than, she still would have hated her, so what did she expect, what did she want? In fact we don't fully see Eleanor go from, shes a gold digger to her family is unworthy thought
.
I really liked Astrid in the movie and felt she was the other character I preferred to the movie. The way Astrid handles her husband is so much more satisfying in the movie.

Any way, I've talked too much about the movie, but I felt it was more interesting to compare them rather than talk about the book itself. There weren't many issues with it. I just liked some characters stories than others, I'm sure some were unnecessary and could be taken out. Nick came off way to ignorant to how his family were going to act, and at least he owns up to it, because it's kind of dumb he didnt see it coming.
I found myself usually wanting to get back to Rachel's story. Some of the other perspective were interesting, sitting back and watching these, as they say, crazy rich Asians talk about some baffling subjects and treat each other terribly.

I normally don't read too many books like this but it was fun, and kind of refreshing. I wonder if I'll like it more upon reread when I already am familiar with the characters. I'm still debating on the sequel. Unfortunately it seems more people prefer the first one, and the second, even though it should focus on Rachel and Nick, has too much filler and I dont like we get more side characters but the ending is apparently worth it. Aiyah! Such a struggle.

Anyway I had two things I wanted to bring us as spoilers for the ending:

Astrid- Like I said above, I dont like how Astrid still desperately wanted things to work out, and I can only applaud her ex husband for having enough class and respect to try to make her happy and help her work things out with him. In the movie, I prefer how she shuts down Michael for basically being unable to be enough of a man to accept that Astrid makes the money and that's that. I think the most ridiculous part of the book is that he faked it all. I mean its kinda cringey he sent a text to himself that says "I want you 2 cum in me" or w/e. I dont remember if in the movie this affair is also fake (I dont think so) but atleast the text just says "I miss you in my bed"...so awkward. Im not looking forward to if they get together in the future installments. Astrid deserves better and I think I would completely not care for her if I didn't see the movie version in my head as I read.

Rachel's ending with her Mother- that was a really sweet and a heartbreaking story. I wish it had a little more time to breathe before the ending. I dont know if its confronted in the sequel but I would love to have had Rachel confront Nicks mother like she did in the movie (Albeit for different reasons) It just would have been nice for Rachel to tell Eleanor, not for her own sake, but for her mothers. Since what Rachel's mother did was amazing and these stuck up people act like she isnt worthy at all. I just wanted to see some come-upance.
Again though, I preferred how Eleanor was portrayed in the movie and I liked how Rachel resolved it. I think the book showed Rachel with grace, but the movie showed her with wit, intellect and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment