Friday, May 22, 2020

An Ember in the Ashes | Review

"Loving you is the worst thing that has ever happened to me."
I'm a bit torn on this one. I feel like if it was just the first and last 25% than I would come away more positive. But a lot of that in the middle really frustrated me.

Let me get a lot of my gripes out of the way.

First off- Torture - there was hardly a plot. It really just seemed to be alot of beating, abuse and sexual harassment. I got angry at the injustice, then angry at the characters then just angry at the book for not moving it along. Trauma can make you feel things for characters, but I feel like there was too much in this book that I feel like it was just constant and nothing else was happening.

Second - the plot - or at least whats in the book. I feel like it took such a back seat to the drama (which is my third and most egregious point). The trials that the characters are supposed to be performing seem lackluster and short. The "magical/ shadow elements" were more confusing than interesting. I feel like they could have been implemented better. I'm not saying you had to reveal a lot, since that seems to be what the future books will be about, but still could have gotten me more interested.
I couldn't understand why they allowed certain things to happen. I think thats the frustration of creating "clairvoyant" characters. But it just seemed like no one in this world cared for anyone, they let everyone kill each other. It was just kind of ridiculous, how is this a strong empire? (Unless thats the secret plot of the bad guys? but thats not revealed in this book so it still leaves me annoyed.)

"You think I want to feel this way about you? Watching you find the good in everyone -everyone-but me."

Third - the relationship drama, the terrible communication, the love square? Thats right...there's a love square. I got so fed up with these characters acting like they were in a damn high school drama while there was so much more at stake.
So many times characters would not say the right things, and be really vague which caused more issues to arise, it was really stupid.
I actually liked the idea at first that the two main characters were going to have their own love interests and not each other, because I hate when romance steals most of the central plot. But then it all started to get muddled together and I was dying to get this book over with and just give it a 2 star and move on. But...

The Positives:

A lot of the characters really did have some interesting struggles and compelling motivations. Elias was my most frustrated but I liked how he saw the world and how he wanted to treat people. It contrasted badly with everyone else (Helene) blindly going along with the travesties of the world.
But I still really liked Helene, I wish she didnt turn dreamy-eyed school girl. But I always enjoy a nice badass female and find her power interesting.
It really makes me think the sequels can make some great characters. Thats what I was thinking as this book came to a close. And honestly, that in itself is difficult to pull of, to bring someone from the brink of a rant review.
So you see my conflictions here.

Will I eventually put up the sequel? Im more inclined to than I was around the 60% mark. But for now Ill leave it at 3. Solid, but I think I was hoping for a bit more considering how popular and loved it us.

No comments:

Post a Comment