Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Serpent and Dove

Ill have to admit starting off that I listened to this book on audio book. Usually while I was simultaneously doing something else at the same time. So where I know all the events that have happened I probably missed some of the nuances and build up.


Serpent and Dove was a pretty grim tale of a bad ass girl just trying to survive. When I heard everyone describe it, I imagined this sneaky witch going off to some village or big estate or something. Just something that made the story feel a little more fun, or light. I was kind of disappointed that it entirely took place in a church...basically? Or some kind of monastery for "templars".

Over all I think the characters and the relationships saves this book. Most of them are nuanced and interesting. Coco and Lou's love for each other is refreshing. Ansel is a treat. It really shows alot of grounded characters, people who may be stuck in their ways but slowly open up and realize more about the world by the end.

Lou really is the star I think. I loved her attitude, her confidence and strength, given all shes been through. She makes this kind of dreary world a little more fun.

The story is centered around Lou hiding among witch hunters while trying to practice magic and defeat her mother. This is where my lack of attention may show my ignorance. But I dont recall her practicing magic much. I didnt really see her building a plan against her mother, and the beginning centers around her stealing a magic ring, and she hardly uses it.

There is alot of intense reveals toward the end, and they kind of happen all at once. I do recall that there is SOME bread crumbs, so they dont completely come out of left field.

I felt at first that there didn't really seem to be that much magic in a book about magic. But I guess thinking back, there was a good amount considering the situation they were in.

I want to point out one thing that DEFINITELY will have me coming back for the sequel. But it is spoilers so stop here if you dont want to know.

I LOVE that Reid has magic. While reading this book I kept thinking, I wish there was more books with men and magic. Too many stories are always about how only women have magic. So the fact that Reid is actually a mage, considering his history is super interesting, and I cant wait to find out more.
Side note, Im not sure how Coco's Aunt's name drop at the end was significant. I feel like I missed a story that discussed her, or its just a mystery to keep you reading, because Reids like, "Oh shit."

No comments:

Post a Comment