Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Master and Apprentice

People are more than their worst act. At least, most people. And they are also more than the worst thing ever done to them.

I was pleasantly surprised by this! If you're a fan of star wars (which Id say you definitely have to be to read this) then you may be aware that good Star Wars novels are hard to come by.

I couldn't really find any negatives to go with this. My only grievance is that the "villain" in the end, though interesting, seemed kind of rushed and out of character. I also found it odd how there seemed to be NO mention of telekinesis by the force. There were many instances where they used it simply as a way to sense people/ emotions and danger, or to just augment their physical abilities.

Besides that I think this was great. I was hoping for a story that actually shows their bond and them working well together, not conflicting so much. But I think that the way the book went was more compelling. Though they still work well together as a team, they butt heads alot on whats right and the proper way to handle things. The way they still respect each other even through their tumultuous relationship shows a depth I wasn't expecting.

I think the book presents its moral quandaries in a compelling, and not pandering way. Slavery, Light vs. the Dark, The Council. It was surprisingly deep.

The plot isn't super deep, which I like. I, oddly enough, enjoy the 'simpler' times of just Jedi questing and such. I liked that it was less "Galaxy Ending"

I really liked how it shows a bit of Qui-Gon and Dooku when they were younger. And I surprisingly liked the two side characters they threw in. Pax and Rahara, at first I didnt really care because I just wanted to get to the Jedi. But they were still sparsely put in and I like seeing Jedi interact with different people.

I wanted to dive into some connection/ foreshadowing the book has because that's why we're hear right? To see one of out favorite characters as a Padawan.

-There is a part where Obi-Wan says there can never be a lightsaber fight to the death, because Jedi dont fight each other....that one hurt. If only he knew what was coming lol.

-A big plot contention is Qui-Gon becoming invested and studying prophesies. Which as we all know connects to when he meets Anankin on Tattooine and believes hes part of the Chosen One prophecy. This also shows/ gives the reasoning to the fall of Dooku, which I didnt expect to see in this book.

-One of my favorite parts is when Obi-Wan connects with a Varactyl and enjoys riding it. For those who may not know, a Varactyl is the very animal Obi-Wan uses in the 3rd movie to pursue Greivous. Makes the scene where it gets shot and falls off the mountain even more sad. BUT it doesnt show the Varactyl die, and neither did Obi-Wan so Im going to assume they both made it :)

It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness. Even if there can be no more joy in the galaxy than there is pain. For every action we undertake, for every work we speak, for every life we touch - it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means someday I'll 'win' some sort of cosmic game. I turned toward it because it is the light."

-Im glad this next part was finally addressed. We get through most of the book Obi-Wan liking flying. I kept thinking this off because I specifically remember him hating it. But at the end he finally goes through something so crazy he resigns to hate flying. So I'm glad that was consistent.

-Finally, if you you followed The Clone Wars (and the brief mention at the end of the 3rd movie) we know that Qui-Gon learned how to be a force ghost. And this is actually nicely alluded to and set up here.
"The danger came in thinking that knowing the future became a form of control over it. Finally Qui-Gon understood it was the exact opposite. Knowing the future meant surrendering to fate. Surrendering to the ebb and flow of life. Only though that surrender could the Force be truly known."
Im not an expert on force philosophy or Star Wars lore. But that seems to be what allows the Jedi to be ghost. Its what Obi-Wan eventually does in episode 4 when he allows Vader to cut him down. Accepting fate and flowing with the force.

I lastly wanted to discuss some specific grievances that involve spoilers, so beware that below:

-Rael Aveross and his padawans death. This kind of ropes in the lack of telekinetic force. It seemed to me her death was completely unnecessary. They (I think) introduced this nano-bot dart that causes someone else to control your motor functions. NOT the mind of someone. (If I read that correctly) That in itself is...odd. But that happens to his apprentice so she starts attacking him. I find it hard to believe nanobots could make her perform any kind of competent fighting maneuvers, so Rael should have easily been able to disarm her, or at the minimum cut off a limb or something. (Star Wars is famous for it) Or atleast force push her or something. I just dont understand why he had to go for the killing blow. It just seemed avoidable, but when a book isnt riddled in issues stuff like this is easier to look past and just focus on the IDEA of his plot which is a grieving Master trying to do anything he can to make up for her loss. (Which I like he admits can never happen.)

-Fanry, most of her reveal, though I didnt expect, was oddly intense. I mean just because the characters say they didnt expect it doesnt make it any more believable. I understand her reasoning, but then it immediately goes into her really doing it for her self and to seize power. I think the idea could still work, but it wasnt set up well. (Besides the earlier mention that she may be young, but other rulers are just as young if not younger. Shout out to Padme when she mentions Naboo lol, though I dont think that timing matches up)
I also thought that Obi-Wan planned himself to put that fake kyber crystal in his light saber. I was like, damn Kenobi, thats hella smart. So, though it was set up nicely that Fanry planned this by seeing how his lightsaber worked, I still liked the idea that Obi-Wan figured it out.

But thats it for my review, or more like discussion, of Master and Apprentice. I recommend it to any fan of Star Wars!

No comments:

Post a Comment