Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 TBR Check


As most of us do, we make a wonderful list of books we want to get through during the year. I wanted to take time go though mine and see how I did.

Almost 12 months ago I made a list of 17 books I wanted to read:
Of those 17 books I only read a whopping 5 of those books, oof.
About halfway through the year I renovated my TBR so we'll look at that in a bit. Here were the books I had originally wanted to read.
Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch
Return of the King by Tolkien
Keeper of the Lost Cities #1 by Shannon Messenger
Evermore by Sara Holland
^ These were the 5 books I actually read. ^
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare I just didnt really feel like getting to this one. But in December I decided to do a challenge where I read the best and worst rated books on my TBR. This book is rated one of the highest, so it looks like it will be making a return to my TBR.
The Tiger's Daughter by K. Rivera Arsenault Another book that kinda just fell to the background. But if Im not mistaken it is Asian themed and Im doing a big Chinese New Year/ Mulan celebration TBR for Feb and March, so this is making a reappearance during that time.
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch Spoiler for my own blog but I made 3 TBR's this year and this book made every single one and I still never got to it. Happily enough I've already started on it and it will be my first book of the new year!
The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes Also a book that made all 3 lists. But I just never got to it and its pretty far low on my interest at the moment. Dont know if it will make a reappearance this year.
The Witcher: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski More interested in this after having just finished the Netflix series.
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Andeyemi
Seafire by Natalie C. Parker
An Unkindess of Magicians by Kat Howard
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
I think the main disconnect between what I actually read and these books on my TBR is I had just started buying books and these were the newest books I had bought and sounded interesting. As the year went on I started to really discover what I felt like reading and these weren't it.
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson This was mostly pushed aside because I discovered Sandersons other books and did a read along for most of the year. But I definitely want to finish the rest of his books so this book will make a return to my TBR this year.

When the Summer hit I decided to create a new list for my self just for that season since I was clearly losing sight of my original TBR. After the Summer was over I created a Renovated list that updated what I was thinking.
But before we get into those lets look at the books I ACTUALLY read the first half of the year up until about June when I created my Summer TBR
* A small disclaimer, books marked with an  * I believe actually were on my TBR but I stupidly was removing them as I finished the books so I kind of confused them.
*Running with Lions by Julian Winters
*Amber and Dusk by Lyra Slene
The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
*What if its Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera
The Hidden Past (Stars Wars: Jedi Apprentice #3) by Jude Watson
*Zodiac by Romina Russel
Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee
Heir of Ra by M. Sasinowski
Fellowship of he Ring by Tolkien I ended up starting a read a long with a friend who likes the LOTR movies as much as I do.
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
Everless by Sara Holland This made the list because a friend i was buddy reading with ended up picking up Evermore first without realizing it was the sequel.
Black Wings Beating by Alex London
The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Stuart Moore I ended up reading this b/c the Dark Phoenix movie was coming out that month.
Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston I started buying so many books by this point I made myself start reading the first chapter of all my new books before I put them on my bookshelf. This one stood out so much I ended up continuing to read it and didnt regret it AT ALL!
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

It was right around here about late June or early July I made a Summer TBR. It was pretty short and consisted of.
Love & Gelato
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Keeper of the Lost Cities
Vicious by V.E. Schwab
^These were the books I completed from that TBR^
The Song of Achilles
The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Storm Runner
These books I still did not get to.

Finally lets look at my renovated TBR list for the rest of the year and then what I actually read. There are only 10 books on this TBR. I read 6 of them:
The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Love and Gelato
The Return of the King
Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Vicious
^These were the books that I finished^
Peace and Turmoil by Elliot Brooks
The Song of Achilles
The Last Sun by K.D. Edwards
The Lies of Lock Lamora

And now to see what I actually read for the rest of 2019:
Carry on by Rainbow Rowell This was mainly because its Sequel was coming out, and I wanted to read it before it came out. I dont know why I never put Wayward Son on my TBR. Im still kind of new to waiting for releases and it kind of just snuck up on me.
The Two Towers by Tolkien
Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly I have no idea why but I saw this mid July and it was about mermaids and it just seemed like a book I wanted to read during the summer season.
The Dark Prophecy
Vicious
The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
Tiger Lilly by Jodi Lynn Anderson  I started this O.W.L.S. Reading challenge and this book fit the criteria thats how it snuck in.
The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan I wanted to be ready for the 4th's book release. Though I never got to read the 4th one this year, so its on my TBR for 2020.
Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
Archenemies by Marissa Meyer
The Return of the King by Tolkien
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson A youtuber I really liked was doing a buddy read so I wanted to join.
Skyward by Brandon Sanderson
Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell
Lost Stars by Claudia Gray
Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic) This and Lost Stars were apart of a Star Wars theme I was trying to do around October to end of the year. There was alot of Star Wars related content coming out and I wanted to stay on theme. But I only got to these 2 books.
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Evermore by Sara Holland
Ghost Wolf by Brandon Chen Evermore and Ghost Wolf were only added last minute because I started a challenge to read my highest and lowest rated books on my TBR.
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

AND THERE WE GO.
Those were all the books I planned to read, and what I actually read!
So I had roughly 30 books across all 3 TBRs, and out of the 43 books I actually read only, 11 of them were planned.

Its really interesting to see what you planned to read and what you actually read. Especially if you know the reasons why. You can see how your interests changed, or when compelling books or authors came along (HELLO Sanderson hit me hard and really influenced my year after I discovered him) and what events caused you to change the books you were reading. (Such as a season or movies/ games.)

Cant wait to get start on my 2020 TBR. I wonder how that will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment