Friday, December 20, 2019

Worst Books of 2019

Evermore - 1 Star

This one is the most fresh in my mind as it was one of my last books of December I read. The Sequel to Everless (which you will see later as a 2 star book) continued its descent into frustration. Though nicely written and an interesting twist at the end (mostly interesting because I didnt see it coming as my expectations for what could be produced was at an all time low) the cons far out-weighed the pros.  There was so many illogical inconsistencies, an annoying/ unnecessary Romance, terrible story flow and just too many dumb plot choices to not put this book down every 5 pages to sigh.

Archenemies - 1 Star
Another Sequel. Renegades wasn't that bad, it had its issues but for the most part it had potential. Potential that this book completely destroyed. This book is a prime of example of what I would assume is an author creating just as a cash grab. Almost nothing happened in this book and it easily could have been split into the 1st and 3rd making it a duology. The extremely repetitive and frustrating inner thoughts of Nova and her agenda was so ridiculous. I dont know why the author wrote her this way and even if it is rated highly by many, the consensus seemed to be this book ruined Nova. It also ruined any interest for me to finish the series.

Vicious - 1 Star

Another insanely high rated and loved book I didnt like. I actually had to reread my review to remember why I didnt like it. I hated this book because the characters were terrible, too many plot coincidences and the world felt small and uninteresting. I know you aren't supposed to "like" the characters. But most reviewers described how much they loved Victor....I hated Victor, he was terrible, and Eli wasnt much better but I preferred him. And I felt as if the plot was supposed to be even for both characters as to who was gonna win but it seemed heavily weighed to Victors side. Sydney was annoying as hell too. I think the final straw (which isnt the fault of the book itself) but the narrator for the audio book was atrocious. He sounded way to old to play the main guys and when he voiced the girls it just sounded awful. But I couldn't force myself to read anymore so it was the lesser of two evil.

Amber & Dusk - 1 Star

This was one of the earliest books I read this year and I dont even really need to reread my review for it to remember why it was so bad. In my opinion, illusion powers are usually a staple of deception. This character did nothing interesting with her powers, she was whiny and entitled and everything about this book was annoying. It was actually my first and only DNF of the year. (I did go and read the ending just to make sure, and I was confident that I made the right choice.) Oh I didnt even mention how the romance was definitely going in way that made me slam on that emergency brake and bail out.

Lord of the Rings: Book 1 & 2 - 2 Stars

Im sorry to see these on my list. Try not to be discouraged though as I still love the idea of them and its world. I'm also heavily biased toward the movies so take this review with a grain of salt. I just think the movies were done better, they cut out a lot of unnecessary scenes from the books. The books dragged, there was no emotion in his writing so epic scenes from the movies feel absolutely flat in the book. His writing was extremely hard to follow, if I didnt know the plot just based off the movies I would have been utterly lost. I'm glad I still read them though and maybe hope to reread them some day and see something different.

Zodiac - 2 Stars
This book was an uninspiring tale of a special girl who makes dumb decision and thinks about her love interests WAY too much while the solar system is in peril.


Everless - 2 Stars
This book had a good start. I felt the main characters motivations were valid, and the world had an interesting concept. The rest of it is incredibly slow until the very end where she just threw way too much at the readers in terms of explanation and plot twists, and by the time it did happen I didnt care for the direction the writer was taking us, and the final pages were just straight whiplash. Maybe with some pacing tweaks it could have been a lot better, but the sequel was irredeemable, so why bother.

Gardens of the Moon - 2 Stars

This was actually one of my shortest reviews. I can basically just copy and paste from GoodReads and it says it all really.
"This book couldn't make me care about what was happening to its world and people. It , at the same time, took forever to get to the point and yet introduced things last minute with no proper explanation.
Such a chore and bore to get through this."

Ghost Wolf - 1 or 2 stars
I'm actually still reading this one, so its coming in RIGHT under the wire. Actually this post will probably come out before the review.  Regardless of how it ends this book is getting at most 2 stars just for the beginning. I barely made it to page 100 without DNFing and Im trying very hard not to. But the beginning was atrocious. The plot points are completely nonsensical and the biggest offense is our main character. The perfect, yet modest, protagonist who is impossible to forgot how perfect he is because its repeated multiple times in the story. IF you are going to go with a holier-than-thou/ perfect fighter main character then at least write it better. I had to stop to audibly sigh and roll my eyes every other page because of how bad he writes his characters. (yes that is plural because most of them are bad)
I feel like its mostly rated so high because so few people have read it, because its a self publish book.  So I kind of feel bad but at the same time...write better stories? Sorry.


That is the end of my list of the Worst Books of 2019! Im glad thats out of the way and I can get to the best books because honestly, even though this year was rough with some of my least favorite books, the best are SO amazing! (I mean its the year I discovered Sanderson so...you know whats coming.)

No comments:

Post a Comment