Friday, December 27, 2019

Oathbringer | Review

This book was Amazing and Massive!

My first thought is I kind of wish it was just two different books. Alot happens and ALOT of it is amazing and interesting but still..."its alot."

Especially as I reread my "thoughts" (I usually make notes as I read to reference to later) I forgot how I felt when I initially started this at the beginning of this month!

I think the best way to go about a review for this book is by Characters, as there are so many compelling moments for most of them.

Dalinar:
I was at first not interested in his back story. Especially when it makes him so incredibly unlikable. But....I cant believe how worth it it is by the time you get to the back of the book. I should have known by now that Sanderson knows what he's doing with set up. The way the world and his enemy just set him up to fail, and its outcome is - amazing.

Kaladin:
He's always been my least favorite. Im not sure why, but I definitely think his part and hows hes written is perfect regardless of my feelings toward him. I dont have to love him to know that his role and how he plays it is amazing. I'm sure I could research it more but Im assuming he has depression. Like clinical depression, not that he's sad. So I think thats really fascinating.
Syl still kind of bothers me, especially with how she treats Adolin (whos ones of my favorites) and it doesnt seem very honorable for you to just shove Kal onto Shallan because she think Shallan will make him happy. Tsk tsk Syl, some honorspren you are.

 Adolin:
Man....do I love Adolin. When we see little Adolin in Dalinars backstory, and we learn how he's a "hugger". Its just too cute. I have always loved Adolin. The warrior with a warm heart who doesn't have the normal aggressive hate other Alethi's do. So far it has been very interesting how he is one of the few main characters who isnt Radiant. But his story is VERY unique when it comes to how he handles and progresses with his shard blade. Like oh MAN, do I hope there is more when it comes to that.
I think the way he's insecure with Shallan even more humanizes him, especially considering how we originally met our playboy back in book one. And let me say, I am still so in love with Shallan and him together.

Shallan:
Like...STORMS where to begin with Shallan? She was incredible, my favorite, I can't believe Sanderson crafted her character to be this. The way she uses her powers to cope! I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book so scared Shallan was moments away from destroying her self.
She was perfectly written as such an imperfect powerful character. Honestly Sanderson...thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting me on this adventure with her.
"Surely Jasnah Kolin has far fewer problems than Shallan.
At the very least she created far fewer than Shallan."

There were so many more moments, ofcourse there is the reveals and world building that will just floor you.
Honorable Mentions:
Jasnah! The magnificence that is Jasnah!
Teft! Like...wow THAT moment with Teft. Had me with tears in my eyes and choked up.
Its incredible the way Sanderson plays with the powerlessness these characters feel, and the moments when they overcome it.

Alot of people think this was the weakest of the three, and maybe if I reread it I might agree, its also probably because right now Im still riding the high that is the end of this book. But I still liked it better than book one.

Damn the STAKES! I'm still ok with book 4 coming out in about 11 months because honestly I need a break haha!

Pick it up! Read it! Revel in it! Its amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment