Thursday, July 11, 2019

Apollo Book Two | Review

"Think of yourself as dead. You have lived your life. Now, take whats left and live it properly. What doesn't transmit light creates its own darkness."




In the first book Apollo was annoying. Meg was annoying. The story didn't seem to flow very well. I barely remember most of it when I started book two.
I think I ignored most of it's faults and pretended it was better than it was because Apollo is my FAVORITE God and I couldn't NOT like a book about him. Also Percy makes some great cameos.
Why am I admitting those faults now? Well those faults made me realize how much better the sequel is. Apollo has a more balanced "full of himself" attitude but developed his human qualities. Not only that but we learn more about his past and his stories that make him who he is now and who he is becoming. Meg is less insufferable because you can see her bond for Apollo growing and her competence in her nature magic/ sword fighting is refreshing.

The connections between people and their stories was more compelling than most of his books in my opinion.
Particularly Commodeus and Apollo, it actually almost made me tear up with that one scene. Which I don't think has ever happened with a Percy Jackson book for me. The story of Emmie and Josephine is very endearing and wholesome as well. What a message in this book, its good to have younger audiences exposed to what Riordan writes. Acceptance, of others, of ones self, of our vulnerability. Deep and powerful stuff from him as usual.


Maybe it's because I haven't read the other Percy Jackson books in a while but this book feels more intense, with consequences, deep stories, realistic actions and, though its odd to ask for, sadness.  I cant tell if they're usually like this or if Riordan is specifically aiming for the fans that have grown up with these books to still be getting something deep out of his stories. 
(Spoilers: Specifically Im referring to Apollos love and loss for Commodeus, Megs childhood, the deaths at the waystation, beheading of Festus and of course RIP Heloise, you beautiful Griffin.)

Apollos transitioning into a more grounded character is pretty great to read. I was growing hesitant of him turning into a character that just talks to people and brings out the best of them and itd be pretty cliche and cringey. But that isn't always the case, which I was thankful for. (Spoilers: Im referring to when he finally tells Trophonyius that he should have been better choices and its his fault for wasting his life as a thief.)

I like how the end already foreshadows us seeing more DemiGods from past stories. So if you like alot of past characters, like we got with Leo and Percy so far, then you're in for a treat.

I hope Riordan is really relishing in his accomplishments. To create this world so big that he can find ways for his fans to come back to old friends.


P.S. I think youll notice I didnt mention the humor at all, I feel like I didnt need to. Most already comment on this and I feel I wanted to write on whats deeper in this novel. But I loved the witty banter and writing for this book. Im sure someone could describe it better than I, but its just FUN!





No comments:

Post a Comment