Thursday, January 10, 2019

What If Its Us | Review

Ben is basically me, the school , the sims, the stories. Has me pegged. Its a main reason why I think I liked this book so much.

I really enjoyed this book. I flew through it so fast. The beginning really hooked me, I liked how they were a bit awkward in the beginning so none their relationship was perfect. It actually seemed pretty long to me for a contemporary so I was surprised how fast I went through it. I think its a cute, wholesome tale and would definitely recommend!

"I could throw up. Hudson runs down the steps and please, please, please fall and dont get up until Arthur and I are long gone."
(I know this is followed up by a pretty bad fight but I cracked up laughing so hard imaging this and Arthur and Ben acting like they didnt see it and just walk away)


I mostly Sided with Ben for the majority of the book. Arthur definitely started to come off as immature (granted hes only 16) The blow up after Hudson was a huge turn off for me. Trust is a big deal and Arthur threw it away so quickly. There was no reason that Ben would have been going behind his back. He also seems to lack confidence (I assume due to his inexperience) but still seemed off character.(though this makes him more well rounded and realistic, so Im torn if this is bad or not)

This is most of my issues with the book is that any of the fights they have seem kinda..dumb, especially coming from Arthur.  One of the main problems is in the end they say they are connected, but you cant really see where Ben and Arthur bettered each others lives or learned from one another. The ending honestly didnt bother me, I think it seemed very realistic and I think its pretty clear they will be seeing each other again, I wouldnt even mind a sequel or novella.

I dont read too many contemporary so maybe I haven't read some really good ones. But from what I read of relationships in general (no matter the genre) these couple are alot better crafted than most which a big reason why my star rating is higher than most reviews I think.

Slight Spoiler|
Its cute all the friends got back together I just wish It tied in more with the  the coupling, like if Ben Arthur actually had something to do with the group of friends reuniting. They dont.

I wish they elaborated on more interesting aspects. Like when Ben learns Arthur followed him into the post office, its commented on by Ben thoughts but its not cute and elaborated on. Or when Hudson recognizes Arthur from panera. That was supposed to be the cute part of them looking for each other at the beginning and its mostly glossed over afterward.

Bens ending is actually kind of sad. Besides the fact that its AWESOME that he finished his book he seems kind of alone. He isnt even super thrilled about his last two friends left in New York and why the hell did Sam and Dylan go to school in Illinois? It almost seems quite clear Dylan left Ben for Sam. But thats my main gripe about the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment