Sunday, August 30, 2020

Warbreaker | Review

 

This was incredible! However, this book alone can't explain why I'm so mind blown by it. But I'll get to that later toward the end.

This novel follows a daughter of the kingdom Idris as she is sent to their neighboring kingdom as a deterrent to a threatening war.

This daughter, Siri, however, was not the one that was originally supposed to go. Siri is the youngest of her family and for all intents and purposes was not important.

Her older sister Vivenna was supposed to go in Siri's place, Vivenna trained her whole life to perform this task. To go to Hallandren and marry their God-King and bare them a child to prevent a war.

However, before it is time to send Vivenna, her father decides that even if he sends his eldest daughter, war still might come, for this reason he decides to send Siri.

Vivenna, feeling lost having been stripped of her purpose that she spent her life preparing for decides to also go to Hallandren to save her sister.

And so begins the incredible journey of fascinating characters, betrayal, and a unique and colorful magic system if I ever saw one.

The first thing I want to point out that I was NOT aware of is that this book is not a "traveling adventure" story. I don't know why but every time someone described it I thought it was Siri travelling to Hallandren and getting into shenanigans on the way. So I was surprised that by chapter 3 she was already there!

This story, lore and revelations was so striking that I want to immediately reread it. It's a story and world that I just want to make sure I know EVERYTHING about it!

I unfortunately was not very invested in the beginning. It went pretty slow. We follow Siri as she slowly starts to learn about her new husband, the mysterious God-King Susebron. Vivenna arriving and finding herself wrapped up in a conspiracy and follow her as she sheds her initial prejudices about Hallandren. And finally Lightsong, a Returned, who are Gods in Hallandren as he slowly unravels his own found conspiracy.

The set up for these characters is slow as we learn about the world and magic. But colors is it worth it by the end.

We see Siri's intelligence and compassion as her and Susebron learn  more about each other blossoming into something beautiful. Lightsong playing at being dumb and struggling with his Godliness only to have one of the most epic endings. Vivenna, who struggles the hardest, enduring the worst this book can throw at her. She meets up with a character from the Prologue, Vasher, and it is just non stop intrigue from there out.

There is so much to this world and it's incredible. Besides the pacing, (which in its defense is needed to set up the ending) this books holds up so well. The twists, revelations and betrayals accompanied by an intriguing magic system, I can't love this enough.

Except there is MORE! If you're a fan of this book or any books by Sanderson you may or may not have read his Stormlight Archives. I won't get into spoilers but MAN did I wish I read this before I read Stormlight. I want to reread this and those books so bad right now. When you realize the connections these stories have, you'll be frothing at the mouth. I hate I have no body I could immediately start discussing this with. I truly hope that with Rhythm of War coming out we will get even more Warbreaker tie in. I also heard that he's making a sequel to Warbreaker that will help fill in gaps between this and the Stormlight archives. I love the kind of joy and excitement this book brought into my life! I am READY for the future of this and Stormlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment