Sunday, August 23, 2020

Red Skies Falling Review

 [Insert one of the many good Bird/Sky related quotes here!]


This was an incredible sequel!

We pick up pretty shortly after book one ended. Kylee is at the Sky Castle training her Hallow Tongue in preparation of the Kartami invasion. Brysen is getting by in the village with his new friend/ they wanna be more buddy Jowyn.

The first 50% of the book is non-stop tension and intrigue. We don't know who to trust, what to believe, and London doesn't hold back with deaths and shocking revelations! If you like you're books to have consequences, this book has it in droves.

I will continue to praise London and his development of this little fantasy land. I never felt any cheesyness from the first book when it comes to the bird/ sky phrases and comparisons. And I continue to feel that way in this book. The language and thought process of these characters continues to immerse me in his world. It makes these people feel real and with a culture.

Speaking of Culture, sometimes the fanaticism is sick in this book, but again in a good way? This book just makes you feel things. The way the Altari people act is...just ridiculous sometimes.

Back to the flow of the book. Unlike Book 1 where it felt like ALOT of it dragged and was slow, this book has break neck pacing in the beginning. With only the 3rd quarter slowing down and back tracking a bit, but the last quarter of the book really holds up and ends incredibly.

Kylee's asexuality is a pretty refreshing point of view to read from. You will see alot of build up of the Uztari people and the political intrigue will have you on the edge of your seat in her parts.

Brysen's point of view I continue to love. Following this poor broken boy is still a compelling treat. His trauma is so real and you still see him trying to find himself and his path. I LOVE what London crafted for him. But beware, heartbreak is still rampant in this book!

I really cant say too much non-spoilery stuff about this sequel, it was an incredible step up from book 1. Especially considering the middle books are usually the worst in the series. I feel like if you were hesitant in book one, this should secure you into continuing.

And lets just say, the title of this book is VERY apparent in the last chapter....damn what an ending. I have no idea where they're going from here.

The last thing I have to say is spoilery though, so don't continue if you haven't read it.

Shara: I was honestly VERY disappointed how this played out. I LOVED when she came back the first time. I was getting big Phoenix vibes from Brysen at this point. And then again at the end with all the smoke, I was very curious wtf was happening. Again I find it interesting that the Ghost Eagles basically trained the humans to do what they wanted them to. Clearly Brysen was built up to be this healer to save the Ghost Eagle? Maybe? I dont know, but Im excited!

What I WASNT excited for was why bring in Shara AGAIN. Just to fly next to Brysen, take a hit and for Anon to fckn rip her head off? Like come on London. You made it clear you will write consequences but this just felt unnecessary and I just felt wrong by it. We didn't really get any satisfying moment from Shara after Brysen revived him. I became really invested in this, and I almost want to knock it down a star grade just because I feel like London might have done it on purpose just to get an emotional pull from the audience. Very disappointing...(and at this point it would just be cheap to bring her back again in book 3?) 



No comments:

Post a Comment