Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Extraordinaries

I know its cliche to say "OMG I wanted to like this book so much! I'm so sad that this book disappointed me!"?
Well....OMG I wanted to like this book so much! I'm so sad that this book disappointed me!

Let's just get the good out of the way. The characters personalities are pretty great. There is a pretty big element to family, which most stories leave out so that was nice. There is a good amount of diversity, obviously with Queer characters. And the motivations for these characters...can be argued is logical.

But this story was so incredibly frustrating. I think the story of Nick and his Father is probably what really matters but I don't 100% know because I was too busy skimming the last half of the book so I could get this over with.

Let's go ahead and just address the biggest issue of this book. If you HATE the "miscommunication" or "lack of communication" trope. Stay SO far away from this book!
I now understand why no one wrote Mary-Janes point of view. That's what this book basically is. Everyone keeping secrets from you. Except the book doesn't keep secrets FROM THE READER. We know what's going on because it's obvious! And the character we follow takes 300 something pages to figure it out (jk its actually revealed to him he doesn't figure it out)
They also have ALOT of "almost" reveals. Where someone is about to say something but just doesnt...

There is also alot of moments where the Main character and his love interest/ best friend say REALLY deep romantic things to each other but still don't talk about how they should get together? Had me eye rolling.

This will definitely be my most disappointing book of the year. I can't imagine anything will match how frustrating it was to suffer through this character stumbling through his life.

Some more complaints but with spoilers so I can be specific:

All the parts where Nick wants to become a super hero are painfully stupid. "Sometimes I dont know if you're really smart or completely insane." 
No, thinking you can get exposed to radiation and live and get super powers is fucking stupid. I can't believe his friends humored him with this, and then Nick even threw a fit like "No one believes in me I can do anything I set my mind to."
Good thing he was just an Extraordinary all along >_< Thanks Mom genes.

I think he's also supposed to be described as creative? Yet his fan fiction is painfully (and obviously) repetitive and unimaginative. (Referring to the part where he decided that his character would randomly HAVE powers all along instead of having them develop in a life or death situation or something) I dont really care, i thought it was a fun way to start the book, but it doesn't make me believe he's a good writer, or idea person or anything.

Seth goes off on a tangent about how it sucks to be a super hero because you cant tell your family or friends.
Yet he LITERALLY has his Uncle Aunt and Friend helping him. But sure, still dont tell your best friend/lover.

Maybe DONT write how Jazz points out how obvious everything was in the end and have the main character go "wow how did I not see this" because that's literally how the readers feel!

Why would Seth just let him make fanfiction of the villain? I just dont understand.
And then Gibby was there when Owen/ Shadow Star saved them and Nick made an idiot of himself.

There's so many more annoying illogical or annoying things that happened. I'm just tired but glad this book is over.











No comments:

Post a Comment