Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Tiger's Daughter | Review

“Children remember who showed them kindness when the world tried to make them cruel.”

I was pleasantly surprised by the end of this book.
I initially wouldn't say it was bad. I feel like you get a VERY in depth look at who the two main characters are. It's essentially the love story of two bad ass warrior Princess'.
The story is told from mostly the perspective of one of the love interests (Shefali) as she writes a letter to her partner, Shizuka.
You really understand their relationship as it progressed and everything it went through. I wouldn't say it seemed to develop how a contemporary would build a relationship. But it had a very interesting mystical element to it. It seemed to have alot to do with fate and unseen forces that encouraged their relationship. But the way the fight for it, with courage and ferocity made it an amazing tale.
It did bring about that "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" vibe if you know what that is. These forlorn tales of dramatic love amidst fighting and war.
The book doesn't focus too much on the actual conflict or issue, which is what started to lose me halfway through the book.
But the trials and tribulations they go through kept me pressing on and I loved the Shizuka and Shefali. I grew to be so invested and interested in their relationship that toward the end when the author does an...interesting choice to set up something epic but at the same time resolve it, I found my self saying, "I REALLY hope this isnt resolved and there is a sequel."(I didnt know at the time that there was indeed a sequel.)
It's definitely hard to recommend. But I'd say if you're interested in Romance (slightly unrealistic) and a vague sense of Chinese inspiration then I'd say go for it. I know I'm really excited to see what happens with these two warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment