Saturday, July 4, 2020

Firefight | Review

After the death of Steelheart at the hands of David we find the Reckoners of Newcago plagued by assassination attempts from the leader of Babylon restored, previously known as Manhattan.

In the sequel to Sandersons Reckoners series we are transported to a very unique new city. The leader of Babylon Restored, Regalia, possessing immense control of water has flooded the city. Leading to people living off of the rooftops of the city. But that isnt the only new feature of this city. Strange aspects of the city also include plants and trees that grow indoor without needing sun. Warm waters that are irregular. And most interestingly, paint and fruit that glows like neon lights after the sun goes own, attributing to the citizens more nocturnal way of life.

I enjoyed the world of Firefight more than Steelheart. It reminded me of one of my favorite series, Infamous 1 and 2. (which also played with good and evil morality) Which leads me to my next favorite thing about this book. After the discovery of the uncontrollable urges the Epics get, from book one, we are often faced with these choices and ideas as The Reckoners work to kill the epics.

This struggle is all the more personal as David struggles to help Prof become the Hero he thinks he could be. And theres not just Prof. There is former Reckoner traitor Firefight that David has to deal with. Which leads me to my NEXT favorite part of the book. Megan, without a doubt, makes this book all the more better. When she comes back into the story and any scenes shes in, she immediately piques my interest and had me wanting to read more. No offense to David, but on his own I'm just...not a fan.

This finally brings me to my only negative really. Im still not vibing with Davids quirkiness. I REALLY wish I could like David more, it would make this almost a perfect series for me. But his metaphors or similes quirk just puts me off. What actually helped me like his character (and secure that 5 star rating) is with the addition of this unique city we see David dealing with a phobia of water. It was a very nice touch on Sandersons part to introduce this weakness to our protagonist. It make the location feel more interesting and dynamic.

I am happy to say though that alot of the potential issues with Davids more "perverse" thinking is simmered down in this one. He still has his wandering eye, but honestly it feels natural, I dont think its uncommon to linger on the physicality of the people around us. Leaving behind Abraham and Cody we also learn about a new team of Reckoners. They have their own unique personalities and I felt this new team helped make the sequel refreshing.

Lastly I just got to say that the last quarter of this book KNOCKED it out of the park. I love trusting Sanderson to start pulling in his foreshadowing and hints so that we just slammed with nonstop reveals that leave me exhilarated and excited for what comes next. Not to mention we started getting hints at Calamity. This ending just has me thinking I have no idea how Sanderson will finish up this trilogy but I'm excited.

If you dont want any hints I would consider this next part spoilers:
But Im so happy how this Superhero series is turning out. I didnt expect it to be all Powered people are Villians, and after this we are starting to see some exciting turns into Heroes fighting Villains. Fingers crossed that a certain event in this book that SEEMS to have no changed a character, is utilized in book three.

No comments:

Post a Comment