Wednesday, January 13, 2021

DNAngel Vol. 3 Review



This volume has been the best so far. We are:
1. Introduced to Daisukes dad. Who I don't know how big of a role he plays but he does lead us to believe he's some kind of magic artifact investigator or archeologist or something. I also like how it deepens the family role of Daisuke. I liked how his father came in very confident and the love he gets from Daisukes mother. Though I dont think there was actually any interaction between him and Daisuke...

2. The story doesnt specifically rely on Risa, which is nice. There is actually a struggle between Dark and Daisuke themselves. Learning they need to work together. It wasn't perfect, but again it breaks up the repetitiveness of what we've seen before.

3. We get some other silly side story of an entertainment mogul. It was kind of weird, but I'm glad the story is bringing in other people.

4. And my favorite, is Riku. I very much like how we are seeing Daisuke feelings drift more toward her and away from Risa. I really do think they are a cute couple.

I would probably give this one a 4 stars if it wasnt for these following plot points that definitely don't age well.

1. We get another instance of sexual assault, that is just played off as cute, and again it happens to Riku.
I mean...theyre in middle school, and this guy locked the door and just tried kissing Riku when she clearly didn't want him to. (the locked door was to set up how cool and strong Daisuke is when he kicks it in)
This was just set up so Daisuke (who was actually Dark) could bust in and save her. And then they accidentally kissed. But it was unclear if it was Daisuke or Dark kissing her. So again...sexual assault if it was Dark.
The jokes of this weird nature continue with Daisuke who was made to undress for this strange entertainment mogul. It was weird, they stated it as a joke, doesn't make these trend of Sexual Assault jokes ok.

Some minor grievances beyond that is that they keep using the big L. Like, they're in Middle school, I understand it looks better to write Love in stories, but they dont love each other. Especially Dark to Riku (i still dont understand that) and Risa to Dark. They don't know each other.

With Riku and Daisuke I understand it a little better, but still...you have to suspend your disbelief a bit.

I usually don't talk too much about the art, but it really is very good. Some of the panels has striking designs of the characters. In between chapters usually has more concept art/ poses for them. And I love how the artist frequently experiments with their clothes. Unless the plot is down right offensive I would never give the volume below a 3 star just based off art alone. (yeah thats how annoying Risa was in Volume 2, bc I gave it a 2 star)

The last thing I'll end on is I appreciate this line Dark said to Daisuke:
"Don't think that your first love has to be your only love."


No comments:

Post a Comment