Saturday, October 24, 2020

Six of Crows

 Better to have terrible truths than kind lies.



Ok wow...alright Six of Crows I see you.

I feel like I'm late to this, that's obvious.

This book has been around booktube for a while, its pretty popular. To me it seemed to come off as a fantasy romance with a side plot of a heist.

So I never thought I would end up liking it, Im not huge into YA romance, it usually doesnt strike the balance I prefer. I feel like people underplayed that this really just a character driven novel. Sure there are inklings of relationships, they struggle with knowing if they should or would want to get together. But thats just because they all have incredibly difficult and troubling pasts.

Almost all of them were compelling, and the ones that weren't still came across well. I was just really happy with how the characters were written, their stories and how they interacted. That was definitely the highlight. My vote is for Inej the pirate queen!

So what else was there? Lets start with the powers.

By the end it went from PG13 to rated R real fast, there was some nasty stuff happening with those Grisha Powers. I wasn't fully wrapped around the powers. I think its because I didnt know they would play such a role. My understanding of the Grisha-Verse was heavily skewed. The way I interpreted this series and Shadow and Bone was that they were in the same universe but so far apart that it wasnt obvious. It seemed to me that Shadow and Bone was deep fantasy, and Six of Crows was more modern and so had less magic. But they are only 5ish years apart. I just had to explain this because this affected my comprehension as I was reading and it wasnt until later I realized how much these powers would effect the book and by then I knew I was missing some stuff. (Which isnt all bad because that means Ill have a really good reread!)

Additionally to the powers was the world and different nations! All of that was really interesting as we got a look into how different nations are, their culture, way of life, and most importantly to this book, their prejudices.

This was so much better than I thought it would be, I was very happy with it and looking forward to the sequel!

No mourners.

No funerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment